Sunday 17 March 2013

Happy St. Patrick's Day

Even though my family's Scottish my step-mother is from Dublin so we all get to celebrate St. Paddy Day with her :) We'll be heading over to her house for pancakes and (hopefully) Irish soda bread very shortly - I'm making shamrock cookies as well :)

I expect also that the leprechauns will be visiting our classroom even as I write, leaving green glittery footprints and their annual treat of chocolate gold. I believe that this year they may be stealing some lessons and turning them into treasure hunts - we will find out tomorrow what mischief the little guys have been up to. :)

On Friday we got ready for the leprechauns by planning a party for them. I have to say that my girls are really good at open-ended projects now!! I just handed out all the directions and supplies and they were off and running. I sat and outlined giant painted fish for the spring concert and listened to them work.

"Oooh, another one of these. I love these projects!"
"Are we really going to do this party?"
"We've only got $140 to spend so let's think about what we really need."
"We have to invite 15 leprechauns so we need to get a hat for each one. Let's get the cheapest hats cause then we can get the band as well."
"Do we have to buy a stage or does that come with the hall?" (it was free)

For nearly 2 hours they worked out prices,




 multiplied and added, chose decorations, drew leprechauns...

party design in progress - apparently
they have to add a lot more!



It was a great project! :)

Sending the luck of the Irish your way - enjoy the day. (I'm going to try and write some reports now!)


2 comments:

  1. Sounds like a fun St. Patty's Day! I just added your blog to my Great Blogs page link! Happy St. Patty's Day!

    ✿Sue✿
    Science for Kids Blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well thank you, ma'am :) I'm honored!! My dad made some AWESOME oatmeal, cinnamon and applesauce muffins to go with the tea and pancakes. I need to get the recipe!!

      Lynn

      Delete