Thursday 28 November 2013

Happy Thanksgiving



To all who are celebrating the holiday I hope you have a wonderful day.

Even though we are in school today (making turkeys and doing some fun stuff) I'm celebrating Thanksgiving in my own way by sending my Turkey's Feast donation to Pencils of Promise. 


And I am immensely thankful that the donation will fund THREE whole classrooms! A wonderful gift.

We always focus on the reasons we are thankful in school. I went round and took pictures of all the activities. :)

Year 1 thankful turkey



Year 4 Turkey Feast math project and
"direction following" turkeys.




Year 1 cranberry sauce :)


Sometimes, though, I'm so busy seeing what the children are thankful for that I forget to write down my own blessings.

So here they are:

I am first and foremost thankful for my God. He's brought me through trials in the past and is always there for me. My faith slides sometimes; I forget to pray; I question; I doubt - but somehow, always I reconnect. I'm grateful for that!

I'm so thankful for my family - for my husband, who loves me and tells me so all the time (in actions - like feeding the dogs when he hates to do it - and in words. ) for my children, who are grown up now and living their own lives but still email and Skype and let me know they love me; for my parents and my sister and my nephews and all my family at home and overseas. I know that I can always go to them and they will be there for me.

My friends are a blessing - both the old ones that I've known since I was a child and the new friends I've "met" but haven't actually met yet. One day we'll meet in person. :) Sometimes months go by without seeing each other; sometimes we don't even have time to send an email but when we finally get together for that coffee or afternoon tea or flying visit it's as if no time has passed. No judgement, no recrimination, no "where have you been?" - just acceptance. That's a true blessing.

I'm truly grateful for the school I work at and for my teacher buddies. I spend so much time there and love the fact that it's a warm and welcoming environment, that we all are there for each other - personally and professionally. I'm grateful for the teachers on the top floor especially who have helped with my tears, laughed with me, found pipecleaners and paint and tissue paper when I'm panicking, gone for coffee with me, listened to me, advised me and just been there! I love my job and am blessed to have such wonderful colleagues!

And finally, (well not really, because once you start counting blessings you could go on forever! :) ) but finally, for now, I am thankful for the very different little people who erupt into the classroom every day, full of beans, ready to learn (well, ready to have fun anyway) and who teach ME things every day. This year I've watched my class adjust to a new student and I have been amazed, humbled and inspired by the way in which they have accepted and loved this quite different child. If the world could show this same spirit of acceptance and helping and love and caring and kindness.... well, we would be living in heaven already. (There's truth in Matthew 18:3)

So happy Thanksgiving everyone. May your day be blessed.




No comments:

I really appreciate it when you take time to leave a comment. I love hearing from you!