Monday 22 April 2013

Earth Day Math


 And what, you may be wondering, does this little fellow have to do with Math?

Luckily I like holding toads!!

He is an example of natural symmetry :) He's a male Cane Toad, also known as a Marine Toad or a Giant Toad - Bufo marinus if you want his scientific name. We found him swimming in the school pond when we were out searching for examples of natural symmetry as a joint Math review/ Earth Day lesson.

Joey Udovich of Create, Teach and Share made a fabulous pack that I snapped up last week (you can find it HERE - it would be a fun activity for any time of the year!) and we used it today.

My girls had a great time. Look at their mathematical explorations in the school garden.

   
Posing for the artist. Toads have no rib cage so this is
the most comfortable way for them to be held. It also
prevents them from hopping away :)


Drawing our national flower - the Bermudiana



Angel wing begonia flower



   
Using a mirror to check the symmetry on
this African iris

This child was determined to check the symmetry
of the Mexican poppy below

 

Checking the pond for symmetrical fish and tadpoles.
Tomorrow we will be collecting some tadpoles for
the classroom :)






7 comments:

  1. How fun! Outside is definitely where class should be on Earth Day. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was fun - I just wandered around naming flowers, holding a toad and preventing children from falling in the pond :)

      Lynn

      Delete
  2. I can't tell you how cool it was to actually see another class using MY product! I almost cried...I'm not kidding. People buy them, but I never get to see them in use. Thank you so much for doing this. I can't wait to show my husband when he comes home! LOL.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a great pack :) Such a cool idea for Earth Day - and I got a gorgeous bulletin board out of it too!! (I also realized that 2 children are still a little unsure about symmetry so I have now marked them down for further review.) Today I have to remember to take in a habitat to collect tadpoles - symmetrical ones, naturally :)

      Lynn

      Delete
    2. Thank you so much again for posting about it! I didn't expect it and it was such a joy seeing your kiddos use it! If I ever come to Bermuda again, I'll let you know! :)

      Joey

      Delete
    3. Yes, do! I'd like some other people to visit too - it's such fun meeting fellow teachers through blogging :)

      Delete
  3. Great post, Lynn! It's fun to see what you did for Earth Day! You have some pretty cool critters over there! :)

    ReplyDelete